MBBS, MS-Orthopaedic SurgeryFellowship in Adult Reconstruction: Hip & Knee, Adult Reconstruction: Foot & Ankle National University Hospital, Singapore
M.B.B.S – May 1996 Rajshahi Medical College, Rajshahi University, Rajshahi, Bangladesh
M.S. (Orthopaedics Surgery) – June 2004 Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh- 160012, India.
Consultant, Orthopaedics, Joint Replacement, Arthroscopy & Spine Surgery Fortis Flt. Lt. Rajan Dhal Hospital
Sector B, Pocket 1, Aruna Asaf Ali Marg Vasantkunj, New Delhi- 110070 India
Special Surgical and therapeutic skills which I do perform
- Total knee Arthroplasty
- Unicondyler knee Arthroplasty
- Total Hip Arthroplasty
- Hemi-Arthroplasty of Hip
- Hemi-Arthroplasty of Hip & Knee
- Reconstructive hip, knee, foot and ankle surgeries
- Joint preserving surgeries for OA knee; Osteotomy, Arthroscopic cartilage and meniscus repair.
- Arthroscopic knee ligament reconstruction
- Palliative therapy for knee arthritis; PRP therapy
- Trauma Surgeries except spine and pelvis
My Practice philosophy
I do share the treatment information with the patient in details so that he becomes confident enough to accept the treatment plan and know the prognosis of their condition. I do believe that patient should take part in decision making with their treating physician for the treatment planning.
Education & POSITION
Primary Medical Qualification – (June 1991 –December 1997)
Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS),Rajshahi Medical College, Rajshahi University, Rajshahi, Bangladesh.
Specialist medical Qualification – (1st July 2001 – 30th June 2004)
Master’s degree (MS, Orthopaedics), Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh-160012, INDIA
Further Specialist Training:
- Professor P.S. Maini DePuy J & J Arthroplasty fellowship – (15th July 2004 – 30th September 2005)
Department of Orthopaedics, PGIMER, Chandigarh-160012, INDIA
- Arthroplasty fellow – (5th October 2005 – 31st December 2009)
Joint Replacement and Reconstruction Centre, Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, New Delhi-110060, India.
- Clinical Fellow – (1st October 2010 – 12th January 2012)
Joint Replacement and Reconstruction centre, Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, New Delhi – 110060, INDIA
- Fellow Adult Reconstruction: Foot & Ankle – (1st February 2012- 30th June 2012)
Division of Foot & Ankle Reconstruction, Dept of Orthopedics Surgery, National University Health System, Singapore
- Fellow Adult Reconstruction: Hip & Knee – (1st July 2012 Onwards)
Division of Hip & knee Reconstruction, Dept of Orthopedics Surgery, National University Hospital, Singapore
- Including teaching experience
Specialist medical training – (1st July 2001 – 30th June 2004)
Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh
Underwent the 3-year structured and comprehensive postgraduate training in Orthopaedic Surgery and been awarded Master of Surgery (Orthopaedics) Degree. Obtained training in all the sub-specialties of orthopaedics including, Trauma, Accident & Emergency at Nehru Hospital; a 1200-bedded multi-specialty postgraduate teaching hospital, the only major tertiary care referral hospital in north- western India.
Further Specialist Training:
- 15th July 2004 – 30th September 2005; as “Professor P.S. Maini DePuy J&J Arthroplasty fellowship”, PGIMER, Chandigarh, India.
- 5th October 2005 – 31st December 2009; as “Arthroplasty fellow”, Joint Replacement Unit, Department of Orthopaedics, Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, New Delhi, India.
- 1st October 2010 12th January 2012; as “Clinical Fellow”, Joint replacement & Reconstruction Centre, Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, New Delhi, India.
I was directly involved in patient management and selection for admission at outpatient clinic, preoperative planning of inpatients, running individual operating list, assisting the surgeon of the Arthroplasty unit as primary assistant as well as post-operative management and rehabilitation of the patients. During this period of training as ‘Arthroplasty Fellow’ & ‘Clinical’ Fellow I have assisted Primary Arthroplasty (knee, hip) as well as Revision Arthroplasty, extensively (APPROXIMATELY 1000 SURGERIES) as assistant as well as primary surgeon.
- 1st February 2012 to 30th June 2012; as “Fellow Adult Reconstruction, Foot & Ankle Division”, Dept. of Orthopaedics, National University Health system, Singapore.
During this tenure I have had exposures in varied reconstructive as well as few trauma of foot & ankle. I was rotated through the service of two specialist consultant; Prof. Shamal Das De (Chairman Foot & Ankle division and senior consultant Hip & Knee Division) and Tan Ken Jin (Specialist in charge of Foot & Ankle Clinic). I have quality exposure in Hip and Knee Arthroplasty also with Prof Shamal Das De, who is well-known in Orthopaedic practice of this region. My surgical exposure was with an adequate combination of hands on training as principal surgeon as well as principal assistance. Other than surgical experience I had adequate exposure at ‘Hip & Knee’ and ‘Foot & Ankle’ clinic to develop sound concept of the different ‘Hip & Knee’ and ‘Foot & Ankle’ conditions. I have conducted clinical research work and perusing those observations for publication.
- 1st July 2012 to till now; as “Fellow Adult Reconstruction, Hip & Knee Division”, Dept. of Orthopaedics, National University Health system, Singapore.
I got the opportunity to extend my exposure in Hip & Knee Arthroplasty further with Prof. Shamal Das De during this session. Apart from this I got the privilege of hands on skill in arthroscopy with another Orthopedic Sports surgeon, which will enable me to perform basic knee and shoulder arthroscopic procedure also. I was also involved with few research project of the department, which will definitely bring new direction in future orthopedic practice.
Training, Courses, Workshops, Conference
- National Trauma Management Course – 2002
- Current concept and future trends in Total Condyler Knee Arthroplasty – 2002
- Advances and techniques in Hip & Knee Arthroplasty – 2004
- AO Course – Principles in Operative Fracture Management – 2007
- EXETER Course – 2007
- AO Course – Advances in Operative Fracture Management – 2008
- Advanced Technology symposium; Osteotomies Around the Knee – 2009
- Instructional course of Unicondyler knee arthroplasty- 2015
- THESIS PROJECT: “MRI Evaluation of Dysplasia of Hip in Developmental Dysplasia of Hip: Correlation with conventional Radiograph and Peroperative Findings”.
Guide- Dr S.S. Gill, Department of Orthopaedics, PGIMER, Chandigarh, India.
- CLINICAL TRIAL: “Efficacy of intra-articular tranexamic acid to reduce postoperative blood loss in primary unilateral total knee replacement” (Regd. CTRI/2010/091/001260, 08-11-2010).
Principal Investigator, Joint Replacement and Reconstruction Centre, Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, New Delhi, India.
- Roy SP, Quereshi OA, Nagi ON, Jain SK. Polymicrobial Infection Following Total Knee Arthroplasty- An Uncommon Entity. Orthopaedics Today 2010; 12: 114-117. (Non-index)
- Jain SK, Roy SP, Gulati V, Nagi ON. Unusual presentation of altered bone metabolism with long-term antiepileptic therapy: pathological fracture of neck of femur due to brown tumour at calcar. Musculoskelet Surg; DOI 10.1007/s12306-011-0136-5. (Index & Peer-reviewed)
- Jain SK, Roy SP ), Nagi ON. Alendronate induced insufficiency fracture of femur complicated with secondary hyperparathyroidism- A case report. Mymensingh Med J 2011;20:501-6 (Index & Peer-reviewed)
- Jain SK, Roy SP , Nagi ON. Treatment of Osteoporosis with Antiresoptive Agent, Alendronate: Warrants careful Follow-up. J Orthop Case Report 2011;1:19-21.
- Roy SP, Singla AP, Jain SK, Nagi ON. Atypical presentation of joint infection by an unusual organism. J of Postgrad Med 2011;57:335-6. (Index & Peer-reviewed)
- Roy SP, Tanki U, Dutta A, Jain SK, Nagi ON. Efficacy of Intra-Articular Tranexamic Acid in Blood loss Reduction following Primary Unilateral Total Knee Arthroplasty. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 2012;20:2494–2501 DOI : 10.1007/s00167-012-1942-5. (Index & Peer-reviewed)
- Roy SP , Tan KJ. A Modified Suture Technique for Fixation of the Akin Osteotomy. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2013 Jan 11. doi:pii: S1067-2516(12)00502-9. 10.1053/j.jfas.2012.11.010. [Epub ahead of print] (Index & Peer-reviewed)
- Roy SP , Agrawal N. Brown Sequard Syndrome Secondary to a Spontaneous Cervical Epidural Hematoma – A Rare Entity. JOCR 2012;2(4): 23-25.
- Hong CC, Roy SP, Nashi N, Tan KJ. Functional Outcome and Limitation of Sporting Activities After Bimalleolar and Trimalleolar Ankle Fractures. Foot And Ankle International. 2013. DOI: 10.1177/1071100712472490 [Epub ahead of print] (Index & Peer-reviewed)
- Roy SP, Nag K. Simultaneous bilateral tibial tuberosity avulsion fractures in adolescence: case report and review of 60 years of literature. Injury 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2013.04.006.
- Roy SP , Lim CT, Tan KJ. A Useful Surgical Technique for Retrieval of a Broken Guide Pin in the Midfoot. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2013 Jul 18. doi:pii: S1067-2516(13)00254-8. 10.1053/j.jfas.2013.06.005. [Epub ahead of print]
- Regular member of AO Trauma
- Life member of Indian Society of Bone and Mineral Research
- Registered with Medical Council of India (No. MCI/10-37961, dated 30th September 2010 ) Additional Qualification (No. 11-9639, dated 9th February 2011)
- Registered with Delhi Medical Council (No. 51150 , dated 23rd March 2011)
- Registered with Bangladesh Medical & Dental Council
Areas of interest
- Blood loss conservation in Total Knee Arthroplasty
- Salvage surgery of infected Knee Arthroplasty
- Salvage treatment in early OA knee: surgical and non surgical
- Osteoporosis in Indian subcontinent
- Adult Foot and Ankle reconstruction
- Sports injury, Arthroscopic ligament reconstruction.
- Steam cell and Cartilage regenerative therapy in Osteoarthritis, Cartilage injury (Future planning to extend the practice)